Skip to Main Content

Copyright Guidelines for Staff & Students of the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg (WITS): Applying for Permission for Teaching (Blanket Licence)

This LibGuide provides definitions, legislation and procedures for copyright clearance for teaching and research purposes.


You are obliged to submit copyright forms for permission for ALL copyright material included in coursepacks, placed on Short Loan or e-Reserves, placed on any e-learning tool, e.g. SAKAI, Moodle, etc. for teaching purposes, on an annual basis.

This applies to FTE- and non-FTE subsidised courses.


You may not distribute copyright material via email, flashdrives, CDs or DVDs.


Permitted Amounts for Copying for Educational Purposes

It is a condition of Clause 4 of the Blanket Licence Agreement that no copy or series of copies in the aggregate may exceed:

  • ten (10) percent or a complete chapter of a book (whichever is the greater);

  • in the case of articles in issues of serial publications, or in sets of conference proceedings, a complete article;

  • in the case of a collection or anthology of short stories or poetry, a complete short story or a complete poem;

  • in the case of a published report or judicial proceedings, an entire report of a case

How to apply for Blanket Licence permission

At the time of (or very soon after) compiling your coursepack, or placing material on e-reserves, or scanning it onto SAKAI, Moodle or other e-Learning platforms, you need to do the following:-

  • Complete the Copyright form (see Tab "Copyright Form" on this LibGuide) for each title used. 
  • The forms will be automatically submitted to the Scholarly Communications Librarian via the system. 
  • The Scholarly Communications Librarian will forward to DALRO for clearance. The copyright fees will be covered under the Blanket Licence fee which is paid to DALRO in the first quarter of each year. 
  • As long as you have copied within the permitted amounts, see above, you can go ahead and copy. You do not need to wait for confirmation of permission, before makes the copies.
  • If you omit to submit the forms at the time of compiling your course material, you may submit the forms retrospectively but not later than 15 NOVEMBER of the same year. 
  • Should you need to copy more  than the permitted amounts, then you will need to apply for a Transactional Licence (see Tab for "Applying for Transactional Licences" on this LibGuide).